We all want to clear out our old and worn out things. But just thinking about it can be overwhelming. Knowing where and how to begin is almost too daunting a task to consider. So, why don't we part with our used, old, and outdated possessions? It's not because we are lazy. Many of us make constant excuses not to let go of our clutter. We have these familiar demons that are constantly telling us:
1. It is too good to throw away.
2. I paid a lot for it.
3. My kids or my grand kids might need it
4. It might be worth something.
5. It holds some special memory.
6. What if I need it someday?
Don’t let these excuses keep you from moving forward. First, start by changing the way you think. Think of it as a lifestyle change that will make your lives less cluttered and less stressful. Let’s call it “rightsizing”, it has a better ring. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
1. Donate items to a special friend or favorite
2. Consignment shops will sell some items.
3. Qualified auction houses or estate sales can
4. Why wait to give it to family members, give it
to them now.
5. Find a qualified appraiser or antique dealer
to determine its value.
6. If you haven't used it in the past year, you
probably don't need it.
7. Ask for help with the physical tasks
Many of these tasks can be extremely emotional and physically overwhelming. There are professional organizations that can assist you in managing the details to simplify this process.
Transitions with Hope is a move management company specializing in assisting older adults and their families with the emotional and physical aspects of downsizing, “aging in place” and relocation. Transitions with Hope can assist individuals who choose to stay in their own homes, but simply require expert organizational skill and knowledge to “age in place”.
Following a strict Code of Ethics and Accountability, we provide an expertise that saves money and reduces stress. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
Hope Fabiani, (978) 660-1935
^Return to Top^